Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Very Busy Weekend

This weekend has been very busy for us.
If you have ever driven by our house, you have seen the hideously large bushes in our yard. We had 7 of these in our back yard. One fell down with the ice storms we had last winter, and the others we cut down this weekend. Jonathan started with the chainsaw on Thursday and then rented a chipper on Saturday for he and his dad to run everything through.

On Sunday I threw my sister-in-law, Betsy, a baby shower for my new nephew, Max, on the way in less then 3 weeks.. Due to space, we had the shower at the Holiday Inn, which really ended up working out pretty good. They made all the food for us and did all the prep and cleanup. Only thing I had to do was decorate and bring the cake.
I also gave Betsy the baby blanket that I had made for her. All those weeks that Jonathan was working out of town, I spent at Jonathan's parents house. I had the idea and did all the prep work. Jonathan's mother helped me sew it together. I hadn't touched a sewing machine since I was 13 and a Girl Scout. I was definitely a little rusty. I sewed it together and Jonathan's mother fixed all the boo boo spots for me. Pics are posted below.

I also have an updated picture of our garden which seems to have exploded the past few weeks. I have a pic posted of the first cucumber picked on Saturday. We invited Jonathan's Mother over for lunch since the guys were still chipping up the bushes. We all got a taste of the first pick of the season. We also noticed the Roma tomatoes finally starting to come in. The corn has the silk, but the beetles seem to be getting there way at the moment. I think we will be spraying this week to keep the pests off. Hopefully the corn will make it. I think the corn might only have another week or two left.

Look Out!!! Stand Clear!!
Timberrrrrrrr!!!
Running everything through the Chipper.
Baby shower cake that says "Baby Max".
Betsy received a Onesie that said Australia from one of my cousins. She just got home from Australia after three weeks, on Saturday. She managed to bring this back for Betsy's shower.
This is the baby blanket that I made.
Garden check. As you can see, things are a bit crowded with the cucumbers having there way.
First pick of the season before we cut into it. I haven't quite figured out why they call them Straight Eight Cucumbers. Judging by the look of things, we will have plenty to share!!

2 comments:

Regi said...

Wow! Sounds like you have been busy!

Connie Lavy said...

I like your garden picture, it is looking great!