Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Mouse in the House

For the past two weeks I have gone to work and had to listen to the latest happenings with a girl that I work with. She is currently battling with mice in her house. Everyday she has come in telling us about all the crazy things that she and her husband have been doing to catch these mice in her house. So far, her mouse body count is up to five and she is still fighting with them.
Anyway, Friday evening about 6:30pm, Jonathan and I were sitting at the dinner table eating our pancakes and bacon (yes, breakfast for dinner). We had just started eating when I saw something run behind the refrigerator out of the corner of my eye. Instinctively, my bare feet lift up and I yell to Jonathan "oh my gosh, I think I just saw a mouse". Jonathan has his back toward the refrigerator so he didn't see anything. I'm pretty sure he didn't believe me. He didn't react at all and I began to doubt what I might have seen. Maybe I was a bit more hyper to the idea since I had been talking about them for the past two weeks.
So, about this time, Jonathan's dad rings the doorbell to pickup something from Jonathan. As he is walking in, Jonathan says "she thinks she just saw a mouse". The guys then began to shake the refrigerator to get the "so called mouse" to come out. Nothing happens. So then they move the refrigerator out just a bit, and wouldn't ya know it. The mouse comes running out and some how manages to zip into a hole that is in the bottom part of our kitchen cabinet. He won't come out.
That was all it took for me. I left my pancakes and bacon sitting at the table, threw on some flip flops and grabbed my keys. I peeled out of the driveway leaving Jonathan behind. I was off to the hardware store. I'm pretty sure that when the guy said "can I help you find something ma'am?", I looked like a crazy lady. I told him "I need mouse traps, STAT". Of course they were out of the cheapie $1 traps, so I had to settle for the more expensive ones that they said were less mess. I didn't really care about the mess at the moment, just something that would get the job done.
So, I flew back home and tore open the package. I loaded the traps with bait (peanut butter) and set them where I wanted them. At about 8pm, Jonathan and I were watching TV when we heard some commotion coming from the kitchen. I got up to see what it was, and there he was. The mouse was belly up, stuck in the jaws of the trap. SUCCESS! Jonathan put on his gloves, grabbed the mouse and threw him in the field across the road.
We still have the traps sitting out for a few more days, but I think there is only the one. Hopefully this is a lesson for any other rodents that want to invade our home.

5 comments:

Connie Lavy said...

I can't stand mice. For once, I haven't had any mice in the fall. I have too many cats at my back door! That's country living! :)

I'm glad you got yours!
Connie

Anonymous said...

I would have DIED!!!! I hate mice!!!

Anonymous said...

Ooooo!!! How sad I am an animal activist, LOL......

Anonymous said...

We have had a few this year. They are disgusting. However, a couple years ago we had a RAT in the house. Finally, got him with one of those sticky traps and then I slammed him with my gloved hand.

Amy Jo and David said...

HA!! I made the blog. Those crazy mice!