Monday, September 10, 2007

Saturday Good. Sunday Not So Good

Well, this weekend was quite interesting. We started out early on Saturday for Plain City for the Shekinah Festival and Quilt Auction at the Shekinah Christian School. I was a little worried because rain was scattered about everywhere. But, we lucked out. It stayed dry for at least the time that we were there. They auction off many items every year to raise money for there school. I have never seen so many beautiful quilts. If you go to www.shekinahchristianschool.com you can see all of the quilts that they auctioned off this year. Plus, all the baked goods being sold. mmmmm.
We were then off to the Greenville Cruise In. Jonathan wanted to put his truck in the show but we knew the rain was on the way. So we went up to just look at everyone Else's really cool cars. I think attendance was down because of the weather, but it was still a good turn out. It started to rain about 6:00pm and that is about when we left.
So, on Sunday, after we went to church, ate dinner, and made a quick trip to visit Jonathan's grandmother we wound up back at Jonathan's parents house. We began to play with our/there dog Brownie. He is such a good boy but a little hyper. I thought this might be a good time to remove the knots out from behind his ears. We have done it before other times, so I wasn't too worried about it. Jonathan tried to hold him and I began the cutting. I cut a small one out and then went after the big one. I had cut a little bit when brownie let out a small yelp. I thought we were just scaring him and then held him again. I finally was able to get the knot. When I looked at the ball of hair in my hand, I saw a small bit of blood and a a small bit of Brownies ear. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!! I HAD CUT MY DOGS EAR!! I had only a small piece in my hand, but when I looked behind his ear I saw a very large bloody opening behind his left ear. WHAT WENT WRONG??? Brownie was in a nervous shock and I was crying. After I gathered myself, we finally determined that he needed stitches. We began the frantic call to all the vets in the phone book. Most vets were not in on Sunday and were referring us to the Dayton Vet Hospital in Moraine. We didn't want to drive that far but we knew that he needed the stitches tonight. We found a vet in Versailles that referred us to an emergency on call vet in Maria Stein. So we gathered up and headed North. Brownie was so good on the way up, he just drooled a puddle in his cage. He was very curious at everything (he is such a countrified dog).
Apparently the Vet had to wrastle a bit with him before she decided to just gas him.
When he came out he had his tongue still hanging out and was only half awake. SO, after 9 stitches and a hefty vet bill later, we went home. He stayed the night on the porch in his cage and slept it off. We finally made it home about 10:30 on Sunday night completely exhausted. Now he has to take an antibiotic for a week and somehow we have to make sure he doesn't scratch.
We went to see him today and it's as if nothing happened and he doesn't seem to be scratching, maybe rubbing a bit though.
It's amazing at how resilient pets are and how forgiving they are. after I had cut an his ear, he still wanted to love on me. I was feeling terrible for what I had done, but he tried to assure me that everything would be OK.

3 comments:

Regi said...

I hate to laugh, but I have to say that is quite hilarious! I feel bad for you, but you have to admit it's kinda funny. Poor Brownie. Now whenever he sees you with scissors he will probably run! Wink

Beth said...

Well at least he is ok now ;-)
Sorry you had such a bad day

Anonymous said...

Brownie, I hope you will be well soon. One time my Grandpa Lowell clipped a couple of my nails too short and I bled for a while. I wanted to go to the vet, but they said "No". I am better now, and you will be OK.