Sunday, June 22, 2008

Look what's growing around the house!

Both of these rose bushes were given to us last year at one of my wedding showers from Jonathan's family. His Uncle Don and Aunt Janet along with there whole family went in together to get us these roses. The yellow one grew pretty good last year and the red was a bit slow and worrisome. After the hack job we did on them last fall, they managed to bounce back like champs. The red roses are growing even bigger this year!!!

We have life!! Yes, I feel I am over coming the Swigart curse. Swigarts aren't exactly known for green thumbs (except for my Aunt Sandy who is president of the flower club). A Swigart yard usually isn't the prettiest on the block. But, I think I am having some luck with my garden. This picture is about 2 weeks old. So, the plants are actually a little bigger now. I think my corn will be knee high buy the 4th of July!! My tomatoes had me worried for a few weeks while it was cool. All the leaves had fallen off the plants and they only looked like sticks in the ground. But now they are bushy with leaves. In about another 2 weeks, we should be ready to tie them up. My cucumber seeds had some issues though. I planted 2 hills of seeds like I was supposed to. With the cool weather we had, they just didn't want to come up. So, I went to Walley World and found some cucumber plants. I planted 2 in the garden and they began to take off right away. Wouldn't ya know it, when we came back from Pennsylvania, 3 of my cucumber seeds sprouted through. That was a VERY hot weekend and apparently just what the seeds needed to start growing. We now have 5 cucumber plants growing. So, I think we will be up to our ears in cucumbers this year (Hopefully). If anyone needs cucumbers around about August, just give us a call!

No comments: