Sunday, January 6, 2008

A Chili Kinda Weekend



Well, it's a good thing that Christmas happens in December. It gives us a few months to recover financially through the winter when it's more comforting to be at home. Since we had no where to be this weekend, I thought it would be a good time to try to make my first pot of Chili. I know what some of you are thinking "30 years old and never made a pot of Chili before?". But wait, there's a good reason!! Ever since I can remember, my dad has always been the king of Chili. Whenever we were in the mood for Chili, he would make it for everyone. So why would we want to make our own?? Everyone always had the impression it was an impossible top secret recipe. When I finally asked my dad for the recipe, he chuckled as he said "what recipe?" He says, "I guess I just never wrote it down".
So what's a girl to do?.
Well, a few weeks ago at work, we had a Chili cook off at work. After many months of negotiating, our company won the fire gear contract for the country of Chile. Which is a big win for us. To celebrate, we had a chili cook off. There were 8 entries. I entered my White Chicken Chili. Mine was good, but for some reason, I couldn't get it to thicken. So needless to say, I didn't make the top 3. But, I did taste a chili that I just loved. It didn't make the top 3 either, but it was exactly what I like in my regular Chili. This lady was flattered that I asked for her recipe. So this weekend, I took on the challenge.
This recipe was pretty basic and flexible enough for me to adjust some of the spices. I couldn't believe how easy it was!! It turned out great! A perfect combination of spicy/sweet, just the way I like it. I was sure to write this one down with all the adjustments I made.
I purposely made a chili that was different from my Dads Chili. (Dad, rest assured, you are still the king of Chili). I will still come running when my dad says it's Chili Day at his house.

This weekend I also decided to make Amish Friendship Bread. Last weekend, I received a starter batter from a girl in our Sunday School class. This is a bread that takes a total of 10 days to make. From this one small bag of batter I received, I was able to make 4 more batters that I now get to pass on to my friends, plus I was able to make 2 loaves for us. This batter now comes from 4 generations and has an extra special smell that hopefully stays sealed tight for the next generation. Don't ask me how you take a totally foul, fermented batter and turn it into an awesome sweet bread (yes it's totally safe. But I wouldn't take it to a lab). So, if anyone is interested, I have 4 starter batters to pass on to the next generation. Each of these batters will turn into 4 more batters for them to pass on.

As you can tell, my thing is cooking (everyone has a thing). I'm a long ways away from being a great cook. I'm always up for the challenge, but I am still a work in progress. Thankfully, Jonathan is always up for the challenge of being my guinea pig (what a team player!). I always ask for complete honesty when it comes to my cooking. So many things that I have made that were complete flops, but I later came back to get it just right. Cooking can be very rewarding for me and also devastating. Those devastating moments only make me more determined to get it right.
I have posted pictures of this weekends tasty vittles. Recipes can be provided if needed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your doing a wonderful job and I can't wait to hear about your success of cooking for a houseful!! Are YOU up for the challenge?? :)

LJL said...

So, about this White Chicken Chili...I guess the old rooster was fat enough after all!

Anonymous said...

Rooster/Chicken was spared this time. The kroger chicken had a lot more meat on it's bones.